STEPHEN R. SLOAN is a shareholder with the law firm of Sloan & Sloan, P.C. Stephen’s practice focuses on sophisticated estate planning, charitable planning, tax-exempt organizations, estate and trust administration, state and local tax, and general tax and business planning related to partnerships, limited liability companies, corporations and trusts.
Prior to forming Sloan & Sloan with his brother David, Stephen was a shareholder with the law firm of Van Cott, Bagley, Cornwall & McCarthy where he practiced until 2015 when the firm combined with Fabian Clendenin to form Fabian VanCott. Stephen continues to be affiliated with the combined firm of Fabian VanCott as an of counsel attorney.
Stephen is listed in Utah Business Magazine as one of Utah’s Legal Elite in the areas of Wills, Trusts and Estates Law. He is also listed in The Best Lawyers in America in the areas of Business Organizations, Tax Law, Trusts and Estates, and Trusts and Estates – Litigation, and maintains an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review.
- Tax and Estate Planning
- Charitable Planning
- Tax Exempt Organizations
- Estate and Trust Administration
- State and Local Tax
- Business Transactions and Corporate Law
- Real Estate
- Member, Utah State Bar
- Member, Wyoming State Bar
- Member, American Bar Association
- Past Chair, Utah State Bar, Tax Section (2010 to 2011)
- AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America as the 2019 “Lawyer of the Year” in the practice area of Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships) in Salt Lake City.
- Recognized in the 2018, 2019 publication of The Best Lawyers in America in the areas of Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships), Litigation – Trusts and Estates, Tax Law, and Trusts and Estates
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America as the 2018 “Lawyer of the Year” in the practice area of Tax Law in Salt Lake City
- Recognized in Utah Business Magazine as one of Utah’s Legal Elite in the area of Wills, Trusts and Estates
- J.D., S.J. Quinney College of Law, University of Utah (1996)
- Utah Law Review (1994-1996)
- B.A., Accounting, University of Utah (1993)
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- Director, The Park City Community Foundation
- Member, “And Justice for All” Leadership Committee
- Past Member, University of Utah Planned Giving Committee
- Past Member, Primary Children’s Medical Center Planned Gifts Committee
- Past Member, Holladay City, Utah, Economic Development Committee
- Past Member, Salt Lake Chamber of Commerce – Leadership Utah
215 S State Street, Suite 101, Salt Lake City, UT 84111